Sunday, December 20, 2009

Classical Christian Education

Remember when I was so sad to leave the kid's previous school? I had no reason to worry, as both Luca and Leea, as well as Lincoln and I love their new school.

Before moving here, we had come for a day to check out their new potential school. We checked into the public school and a Christian school, returning home with very mixed feelings and knowing I wouldn't want my kids to attend either school.

The decision was made, I was going to home school. Until one day, a few weeks before school started, we were looking for houses in our new town. We drove by their new school and we both said, let's check it out. We immediately liked everything they had to say and after talking to the teachers, we were settled.

I knew about the school they attend now, but their web page made it look like a very stiff school, compared to the school they had just attended in Spokane. Plus we had never heard about the learning style. Indeed they're both VERY different, but we have discovered a new wonderful way for our kids to learn: Classical Christian Education

Now they receive an excellent education (and we think it's even a low cost program compared to what other private schools charge in Spokane) and one bonus we all enjoy is a 4-day school week. They get so much done in their small classes, that Fridays can be used for whatever you want (the older kids have a lot of homework though). It's my home school day now. I found it a very nice compromise. We get to go on field trips, do whatever I think the kids need to work on and we have Spanish with our native speaker that day as well.

The kids have not complained once since they started. They have wonderful friends and are in a Christian environment all day long. The pray and bless their day and food. I even like the school uniforms. Growing up with girls bullying me about my clothes, I find it only an advantage. One thing less to worry about.

We're really happy to have found such a wonderful place for our kids.

Leea with her teacher
The "Schultuete" is a German tradition. Kids receive it there from their parents when they start school. It's usually filled with little toys and candy. Leea started Kindergarten this year. Luca got one last year as well.
Luca with his teacher


1 comment:

DeGooyer Family said...

Sounds really neat! Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!