Thursday, March 20, 2008

FourHandsFull

While I was still pregnant with Ava and Noa, random people would look at my belly and say stuff like: "Anytime now, eh?" The sad thing is that this started when I was only like 7 months pregnant. So every time we went shopping, they'd say that, and after I would reveal that I actually had a couple of months left, they'd ALWAYS say: "Well, you'll have your hands full." I eventually heard this about a gazillion times and now can laugh about it, but back then I was SO annoyed, especially when people didn't offer their help. Once we flew somewhere and people would make such comments, I almost cried because nobody offered their help carrying stuff, even if they only had one thing to carry.

Now when I go shopping or go somewhere with all the kids, I hear "You've got you hands full!" all the time but take it as a compliment. I often reply: "Well, better full than empty, right?" Then I smile and answer all their question about how I can handle so many kids, especially in the store. I like letting people know that we have a positive attitude about our kids. I'm sure the kids appreciate it, too. We want them to always feel that they are special and wanted, and even though they ARE a lot of work and we really have our hands full, we wouldn't want it to be different.

We chose FourHandsFull as our blog title because it kind of sums up our life in one word. Lincoln and I really "have our hands full." Four busy hands taking care of four precious kids and managing life in medical school or supporting it, plus taking care of all the random things related to it all. Our hands ARE full, and we feel blessed. :)

2 comments:

Ruth Harper Gough said...

I don't think I've ever let you know how much I admire and appreciate your wisdom and humor. I feel so blessed to have you as a friend and like-minded mother-mentor. Thank you for this beautiful post!

Melody said...

That is so beautifully said. I agree, definitely better full than empty. You are an inspiration and I am so thankful for your positive attitude. When I think of you I always remember you with your big beautiful smile even while you are juggling a gazillion things. That smile just reminds me that the world is a good place as long as there are women like you in it.
Miss you!