Friday, March 21, 2008

The Match: We're going to Washington!

Here are our BIG NEWS in Lincoln's own words:

I've matched to the Colville Rural Training Track (RTT) of the University of Washington-affiliated Spokane Family Medicine Residency!!! I feel honored to have been granted this competitive position (17 interviewees vied for it), and we are excited to move out to the beautiful West and be closer to my side of the family! And hopefully my parents will finally make it out of hot Las Vegas and move closer to their only four grandkids. :) We'll be moving to gorgeous Spokane at the end of May (a 24-hour drive from Kirksville!), and I start my orientation June 16.

I will complete my first year of training (R1) in Spokane (pop. 200,000) mostly at the two huge hospitals in town (Sacred Heart & Deaconess) as a part of a class of 10 interns (plus 20 upper-level FP residents and some Internal Medicine & Psychiatry & Radiology residents and Traditional Rotating Interns). Then I will complete years R2 & R3 1.5 hours north of Spokane in the mountain-nestled town of Colville (pop. 5000; pronounced "Call-ville"). The Mt. Carmel Hospital in Colville is small (30 acute care beds, 8 ICU beds, 2 ORs), but it serves a broad referral base of ~35,000 people. As one of only two total residents in town at a time I will be surrounded by procedural opportunities and quality teaching from the 28+ doctors of various specialties in the group I'll be a part of there. The rural-oriented training there is very hands-on and conducive to developing independence.

The training in the Colville RTT is literally ideal preparation for my plans to practice full-scope family medicine (including preventive medicine, inpatient care, ER call, endoscopy, obstetrics including C-sections, and osteopathic manipulation [OMT]) in a rural underserved area out West that will qualify as payback for my four-year NHSC Scholarship. The Colville RTT is actually the first specifically rural FP training track created (in 1986), which will be a nice extension to attending KCOM, the original osteopathic medical school (est. 1892). :)

Athough the program is not yet AOA-accredited, I will still be practicing and using OMT and learning more of it from an excellent core faculty member who is a DO as well as from other DOs in the community. Colville is also home to an integrative medicine clinic where I may be able to further pursue my interest in Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Another really cool opportunity I will have in Spokane and Colville is to use my Russian and work with the many Russian & Ukrainian immigrants there! And of course Spokane and Colville are surrounded by beautiful nature and will offer a nice lifestyle for the family.

Now we just have to find (pre)schools for the kids and a house to rent! Please stay in touch - we would love to have you visit anytime! :)

7 comments:

momo said...

Hi Rebecca, it's me, Morgan. My mom Lois sent me the link to your blog. I can't believe you are moving to Washington! I live in Seattle. I google mapped where you are going to live though and it's 5 hours away!
Washington is a beautiful state. I know you will enjoy it!! \(^_^)/

Rebecca said...

Morgan! :)I can't believe we're reconnecting! I have been wondering what you're doing! When I visited your mom, she gave me your email address, but we were so busy, I totally forgot to write you. I'm sorry! Let me know how you're doing! rebeccawestfall@gmail.com
Please tell your parents hi from us! We loved visiting them! :)

momo said...

I know, it's been a long time! But I always wondered how things were going with you. I actually got your email address a while ago and sent you an email, but I guess you didn't get it the first time around. I just found it and will resend it to you along with an update... I know you are busy but I hope to hear from you soon!

DeGooyer Family said...

Congratulations on your match!! I'm sure you will like Washington - it's such a beautiful state.

SpaceAlias said...

Congratulations on an excellent selection. You will love Eastern Washington. It will be nice to live in the same state! Good luck with the move.
Love,
Kenny

PestProJoe said...

COngrats on the Move and the position!... although I am still hoping that you end up here in Phoenix. =)

-TB III

suzanne said...

I love the chicks and duckling video. I had baby ducks and chicks I raised growing up. I loved how excited Noa was. How fun to enjoy their joy. Thanks for sharing. Love, Oma Zanne