Thursday, September 4, 2008

Laptop Lunch Box

The kids are in school until 3pm now and eat lunch there. They provide much healthier food than I've ever seen in a school cafeteria. The cook uses veggies from their school garden and they will always have fruit as well. The kids will only get seconds, if they have eaten all their food. While I'm happy with that, I'm concerned about a few other things still.They offer WW-bread and try to reduce white flour products, but still use it mainly. They use meat filled with antibiotics and milk and milk products with hormones. It's also $3.50 per lunch times 2, so I decided to pack their own lunch, at least most of the times. I do realize there will probably be times I won't be able to prepare a lunch and then I can rely on theirs. I'll probably check their menu first and then decide.

I had been intrigued by the
vegan lunch box and several other lunch box sites and found the Lap Top Lunch Box to be the best fit for us. Their lunch boxes do not contain phthalates, bisphenol A (BPA), or lead. If you get the whole system, you'll also receive a bag and water bottle. I even got a steal on them at our local health food store, because they had told me the wrong price. Phew, they are expensive. I'm happy that my kids will hopefully set good examples to their peers and show them how yummy and appealing whole foods can be and that we can keep our environment cleaner by not producing trash with wrappings of all sorts. And I've found a new hobby: "lunch boxing". I had a lot of fun making them the nights before school. Here are a few of their last lunches. All these got mostly eaten during lunch and finished on the way home (the insulating bag keeps the food cool).

Star shaped cheese whole wheat sandwich with a side of parsley (one of their favorite greens), orange slices, mini tomatoes, celery and carrot sticks with Annie's goddess dressing (pink container) and a few spelt pretzels.
The twins thought it was so funny to eat star bread for lunch.
Banilla (banana&vanilla) yogurt with raspberries (container has a lid), carrots on a parsley bed, apple flower with raspberry center and whole wheat peanut butter sandwich with raspberry jam.Spinach with crumbled feta cheese and olive oil, strawberries and blueberries, half a cream cheese ww bagel, carrots and celery sticks with Asian Ginger dressing and 3 "sun drops".
Prunes and half a peach, cucumber, tuna fish with celery chunks on ww bread and bell pepper strips.
Nectarine wedges, carrots on spinach, turkey cheese sandwich on ww bread on a bed of parsley and prunes.
Green beans w. ketchup (green french fries), a mini baby-bell cheese, cream cheese ww bagel on lettuce and fresh prunes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are some awesome lunches.

Unknown said...

Rebecca, I am going to look into these. I ate lunch with Alison at her school today, and ordered the taco burger. SO GROSS!! Greasy, on pasty white bread. Every day they get a fruit and vegetable. Today their strawberries were pre-packaged in a cup with sugar. It was like eating jam. And the mixed veggies were cooked and covered with butter, which Alison dipped in her nacho cheese.
I'm still so grossed out. I wanted a nap this afternoon, unlike usual. Anyway, I guess the point is, thank you for the inspiration! I am glad I ate with her today, I really didn't think it was that bad. I'm looking forward to packing her lunches. I hope they're as beautiful as yours!!

Melody said...

I have so much to learn from you. this is so cool. I wish Eirik would eat. :) I'm sure everything you have shown would be thrown away at my house. How sad. I hope this food aversion stage ends soon.

Jenny said...

You should google Bento boxes or Bento lunches, I think that you will be in heaven. This is essentially what you are doing and it is a huge thing. Enjoy!