Thursday, September 4, 2008

Treasure Hunt

Sometimes we like to walk around our neighborhood and collect interesting looking nature things. Here are the kids with their treasures from our last treasure hunt walk.

Luca's treasures were bark, a duck feather and a chestnut-like round ball with spikes on it.
Leea's treasures were bark and a pretty yellow flower.
Here's Noa with a bunch of sticks and a nice, dirty face. Every good treasure hunt involves getting dirty.

I can't resist these pretty pictures of Ava. She looks so gorgeous here. You guessed right, she's also into collecting sticks. And there are tons of them in the park close by.



At this point I should mention that our kids really like the little park with its playground and duck pond just a few yards away from our house. After we swing and slide, we like to walk around the duck pond and listen to the bull frogs, spy for turtles and look at the ducks. We do not feed the ducks, because there are signs all over the place saying we should not feed them. Human food, especially processed white bread, is just as bad for them as it is for us. I like to teach the kids to be obedient in any way, including park signs. They get disappointed in other people feeding the ducks and disregarding the signs.

A few weeks ago Noa was playing with a stick right by the pond and I was sitting close by him in the grass and talking to Ava (the other two were with their grandparents). All of a sudden I realized that Noa was just about to fall into the water and I'm not going to make it. I jumped up as fast as I could and grabbed his hand, but he already had gone under water. Again, the water wasn't deep right there (remember Leea's incident), but he could have drowned, if I wouldn't have been there. It can go so fast. It's horrifying. I have a good friend whose very young daughter drowned while she was inside for just a few minutes. Poor Noa still keeps talking about falling into the pond and is very careful by the pond now. At least he learned something from it. Guess what happened a couple weeks later? Leea fell in.
This was the 4th incident of one of my kids needing to be rescued from the water. The first one was Ava when we still lived in MO and went to the wading pool there. I was playing with the twins in a shallow spot and all of a sudden another mom runs towards us and grabs Ava, who had gone under water. She was right by me. How did I not see that? I feel like I'm losing my sense of awareness...Not good for a mother of 4 youngsters. Anybody else have similar incidents? I like to play outside and around nature with the kids, so I guess there's always a risk of something happening, but even if I were to stay at home all day, they could get hurt. I gotta just keep teaching them to be careful, responsible and to learn from experience.

3 comments:

Pattie said...

wow your kids have changed so much in the past few months..

momo said...

I was babysitting my nephew Noah while Autumn was recovering from her birth this week, and we were playing in a shallow pool. I waved at Noah and he waved back at me, then proceeded to jump from the short cement step into the pool. He slipped when he landed & hit his head on the concrete, then went all the way under. I felt so bad and there was no way I could have reached him in time... the rest of the time I followed him around closely but that really scared me. The pool must be extra slippery because I almost went under once too (^_^). Kids are so vulnerable and these kind of incidents make me wonder how the human race lasted so long... haha

Melody said...

I haven't visited in too long I can tell since your kids all look SO much more grown up. I can't believe how long Leah's hair is!
I was watching Eirik in a small wading pool and looked away for 1/2 a second and he was flailing in the middle of the pool. It really freaked him out and he talked about going deep deep deep for a long time. I was right there and it happened so easily. Scary.